Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When to retire oil tank, or do they fail big or small?

On Feb 7, 1:21 pm, andy everett wrote:
I have home heating oil tank (in the basement) that is original to a
home built in the 50's. Is there a rule of thumb as to when to replace
them? I also wonder if when tanks fail do they usually develop small
leaks or do they "split" open and release a tank of oil all at once?

Thank you for any advice!

At 50 years, if it were mine, I'd replace it now, as it's well past
the safe lifespan of 30 or so years for an indoor tank. And if you
do it now, it won't be an emergency and you can shop around. I doubt
it will fail with a sudden massive leak though. I'd expect more of a
slow drip, but even that can make quite a mess if you don't catch it
quickly.