Posted to sci.electronics.repair
j j is offline

Default Toshiba 51 RPTV

I have a Toshiba 51 inch RPTV thats 5 years old. About 3 months ago
it became diffulcult to read my DirectTV channel tags on the top/
bottom of the screen when it was cold (first turned on). Well it
progressively has gotten worse to the point the whole screen is
garbled for the first 15 minutes. Finally called a TV repairman, he
walks in the door looks at it and says "that's not good". Proceeds to
tell me it's the PIP board, Toshiba doesn't make it anymore, he has to
rebuild it for $350. Mind you he hasn't gotten closer than 6 feet
from the tv. I say I don't know if I'm conmfortable putting $350 in
this tv when I can get 51 inch tv's new for $700 nowadays. Of course
he says his shop is filled with these "new" $700 tv's and they "don't
build them like they used too". I'm like well 5 years is all I got
out of this one, how much worse can they get, he says alot. I tell
him I need to think about it. So....., what would you do? I have
the room for a RPTV, and don't want to blow the cash on a Plasma/LCD
etc. Is fixing this a worthy investment? Did I get a good
diagnosis?

Thanks