Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Cable colours grrrrr

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:46:21 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Cicero wrote:
I wasn't suggesting that the OP should use the old standard cable -
only that the use of cables of different standards requires a warning
notice to indicate the use of two standards.

Why would a mixture of colours need a warning label? I assume the
cables are the same spec, just different colours?

What I'm asking is how could a mixture of colours be a hazzard? Or is
it just the regs?

===============================
It is to conform to regulations.

This is the relevant text taken from, "Modern wiring practice", by
W.E.Steward & T.A.Stubbs.

"In any installation, whether single- or three-phase, where two different
colour standards are present, a warning notice must be affixed at or near
distribution boards worded:

CAUTION
This installation has wiring colours to two versions of BS7671. Great
care should be taken before undertaking extension, alteration or repair
that all conductors are correctly identified."

--
Testing UBUNTU Linux