Posted to rec.woodworking
nautilus nautilus is offline

Default Finish before assembly?

Hi all!

I'm building a wooden trunk. I added some details, and it has some
mouldings, beads, grooves, etc.. I'm almost ready to glue the whole
thing up, and I'm wondering what to do with finish. In some other
projects, I always end up by having to deal with shellac on akward
areas, with complicated access for the brush, etc, and many times,
that result in a poor finish.

I'm thinking in just putting the shellac to every single piece, BEFORE
assembly, which would be much easier. Then maybe just give one general
touch to the whole trunk once assembled, to fill the hairline gaps.

Is that a good idea? Or I'm going to screw up the project?

Thanks for any suggestion!
Nautilus