Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Cable colours grrrrr

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 00:18:57 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Cicero wrote:
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 20:21:19 +0000, Ben Blaukopf wrote:

Started wiring up my kitchen ring tonight. Retrieved 50m reel of 2.5
t&e from garage, ran first length. All nice and neat.

Lightbulb goes off.

Check the end of the cable.

Black and red. I've had this reel for quite some time. Go check the
regs and discover that I should have used it by March last year....

Rip it out[1], check garage. That's one reel of 6mm that's useless as
well. Pants. Not happy.

Ben

[1] The BCO will be inspecting this lot, so it needs to be all
legal...

===============================
Buy some of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...els/index.html

?? But the BCO (or his electrically qualified deputy) will want to see
those anyway (once he's installed the correctly-coloured cable) but he
still isn't allowed to use his old cable on the new wiring (and if he
was allowed to he wouldn't need the labels so not sure what you're
getting at...)

I assumed that the OP's house isn't currently wired to the new colour
wiring standard. If my assumption is correct it appears from the OP's post
that he is about to add wiring of the newer standard to his (presumed) old
colour standard installation. He expressed his intention to be legal.

I pointed him in the direction of the labels required to make the mix of
old and new legal. That's a perfectly reasonable thing to do in a DIY
newsgroup.

Cic.