Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Which Provides Better Traction?

"Moe" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote
I've no experience driving a pickup truck in snow but have heard that
they provide terrible traction unless 4-WD is engaged. Assuming that
there are from 1" to 4" of snow, and assuming that all other things
are equal, e.g., tire tread, would you use a compact car with front
wheel drive, or a pickup with 4 WD engaged?? Thanks.

Jack,

I've owned 4wd's since 1975, I think I'm on my 8th one. IMHO, 4 wd is
over-rated for the average person. I worked construction for a long time,

4
wd was almost a must, if you wanted to get close to the job site, plus you
pretty much needed a p/u to haul tools/ladders.

I plow snow for ODOT, in the Northeast. I'm always on expressways. I
believe most accidents and roll-overs I see or have to radio in are SUV's
or a 4 wd of kind. I don't have any statistics, nor do I know where to

find
them. But, I truly believe most people with a 4wd believe they're driving

tank. A 4 wd is great for starting out in the snow, they can be an asset
going around curves, the thing is with a 4 wd, you have to use the
accelerator to pull the vehicle through the curve. Most people hit the
brakes on curves, which a 4 wd doesn't stop any better than a 2 wd.

No matter what you drive, always drive for the conditions. Too many people
think just because there is a 65 (or ?) mph limit in areas, that you can
and should drive it.

Don't become a statistic.

Yep. 4 wheels just makes you think you have more traction than you do.
When it comes time to stop, you find out.

Bob