Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Attic insulation under and over plywood.

"mm" wrote in message
Attic insulation under and over plywood.

You all have convinced me that compressing insulation lowers its
value, and that houses with truss roofs weren't meant to have floors
in the attic. But what about leaving the fiberglass that rises to
the level of bottom rail of the trusses, putting a layer of plywood in
those places where I might have to go in the future, and putting
another 4 or 6 or even 8 inches of insulation above that? Wouldn't
that be the best of both worlds?

Then I won't lose my balance and fall through the ceiling when I crawl
out there, and the fiberglass above the plywood will be compressed
when I kneel on it, but will probably spring back pretty quickly. Or
I can fluff it up when I leave.

I just built some risers out of 2x4's attached to the joists, and
attached parallel 2x6's to walk on. The insulation can then go
under the 2x6's.

Bob