Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Road Tax on driving a vehicle

djc wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
The point is the same. Why do people perceive a need to go to
central London to work and do their shopping?

Simple. Because in the case of Cambridge, you can earn 100K plus
jumping on a train and going to the city, whereas 50k is the tops
locally.

But is it really worth it. I live in central London and walk to work in
15 minutes. Sometimes I just stay at home and achieve more without all
the interruption. Most of my colleagues live in in places like Cambridge
and beyond, they spend a good part of their life either on trains or
waiting for them. Academic salaries do not differ between locations by a
factor of two - so what do they gain?

A large garden for the kids, access to decent schools, and freedom from
urban crime, mainly.

In short for all its commuting, a perceived better lifestyle.