Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Safe - how to open?

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 01:45:38 GMT, (Bill)
wrote:

Contact savta.org and see if there's a good vault tech nearby. If so,
call and describe the safe. Is there a handle separate from the dial?
If so, try putting pressure on the handle (i.e. try to open the door)
while turning the dial. See if pressure on the handle makes the dial
harder to turn (even very slightly).

You know, I've seen things likethat in movies, but a few years ago I
had a toy safe, about 5 inches x 4 x 4, all plastic with a clear
plastic inner door so one could see the gears, with notches in them
that had to line up to open the safe, and even this toy was better
designed than one would be that was harder to turn when a handle was
turned. There was also no way to listen with a stethoscope. I forget
how they did this, and for some reason I don't know where the toy safe
is, but its design was simple but silent.

If that is the case, the safe
can probably be manipulated, or opened without damage. Depending on
the mechanism, he might have to drill it, and that will cost plenty.
Good luck.