Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Neutral Ground Isolation in Sub-panels.

"Vern Heiler" wrote in message
Gentlemen of wisdom;

I am a licensed home inspector in North Carolina. I have 30+
years experience in electronics repair (Microwave Radio and Large System
Computer), no real experience in electrical wiring but have acquired some
knowledge.

As a licensed home inspector, I am required to report any
sub-panels that do not have neutral and ground isolated from each other in
the sub-panel.

I have questioned many electricians as to the reason behind
isolating the neutral and ground with answers ranging from "well that's
dangerous" to "because its code". The best answer I have found was
posted on a web site explaining the possibility of a ground fault
following a parallel path (neutral and ground wires) back to the main
panel. The objectionable current on the ground wire would ruin someone's
day by flowing to all of the outlets along the way.

I understand that current does not follow only the least resistant path,
however the amperage in each path is inversely proportional to the
resistance. With the average 110 volt circuit run in most residences
less than 200 feet, and #14 gauge wire 2.5 ohms resistance per 1000 ft.
that's maybe ½ ohm plus connection resistances. So if the #14 gauge wire
is over fused with a 20amp breaker, and a short to the safety ground
occurs, 10 amps run through the ground and 10 amps through the neutral.
With 10amps across ½ ohm the voltage developed is 5 volts rms across the
length of the run. At this point a person would have to be standing in
the tub, with copper drain lines (most are plastic now) and licking the
cover plate screw on the outlet that should be well out of reach, to feel
anything until the breaker trips. Not likely to ruin many peoples day.

I am aware of the noise problem that can occur due to current on the
safety ground and concede that ground loops are a problem with computers,
stereos, etc.

The problem I have with this is what I see as a more hazardous
condition. Mr. Homeowner is shaving with an electric razor and one hand
on the faucet. (still see copper supply plumbing) There have been
intermittent electrical problems and the electrician's helper Dilbert has
been called to fix the problem. Dilbert finds the neutral buss conductor
connection is corroded in the sub-panel and disconnects it to clean the
wire. The 5 watt razor is opposite 100 watt bulbs etc. in the 220 volt
sub-panel. The razor now sees voltages approaching 220 volts and goes
into afterburner before melting in the hand of Mr. Homeowner. The GFCI
does nothing as current is equal in hot and neutral.

The above scenario is one that happened to a co-worker of mine
a few years ago, with exception to the razor. He was standing beside
Dilbert when the neutral wire was disconnected. Moments later his
daughter came down from her bedroom yelling "all the lights are doing
strange things and there is a smell in the house". The electrician's
insurance company replaced one gas range, five VCR's, four televisions,
six clock radios, one microwave and one DVD player.

Had the neutral and ground been bonded together in the
sub-panel the un-balance loads would have been carried by the ground wire
back to the main panel.

The reason I am sending you this is to find what is wrong with
my concern and to feel better about writing up neutral ground isolation
problems in the sub-panels, which I find all the time.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can shed on me.

The hazard with common neutral and ground in sub-panels is the possibility
that if the neutral back to the main panel is interrupted the ground
conductor will continue to carry the currrent without any obvious signs.
Should the ground conductor then develop a high resistance under these
conditions, all grounded items will develop a voltage to ground, up to 120
volts. This would be an extremely dangerous situation which is totally
avoided by simply isolating the ground and neutral.

Isolation in the main panel would also be safer in this regard, but there is
a greater hazard there that the power feed neutral may become disconnected
and having the ground available to carry the neutral current can reduce the
resulting voltage unbalance.

All code requirements are actually carefully evaluated risks, remedies, and
costs, even though it may not be readily apparent. Code violations rarely
make an installation safer or in any other way "better".

Don Young