Posted to alt.home.repair
Dugie Dugie is offline

Default Leave electric hot water tank full or empty?

"m Ransley" wrote in message ...
Why do you leave the home so warm, its just a waste of money. If you
worry about freezing drain it, for 30$ you can get a unit that will call
you when the temp drops below 40f, if the phones still work. If you are
realy worried about freezing pour antifreeze in the traps and toilet, 68
for a vacant house is nuts.

Thanks for the replies. There are differing opinions regarding draining or not, so still unsure what to do. Since it's almost totally drained, I may leave it as is.

Antifreeze in the traps - good idea! I used to do that in a school bus camper we once had.

The temp is at 68 to prevent mold, mildew, etc., but the necessary temp is just my guess.

professorpaul:
Modern tanks are glass lined, so corrosion is not an issue

Our own tank was a Sears glass lined swirl, but still rusted. It had been on blocks, so it may have rusted from the inside.

Dugie