Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default Safe - how to open?

MiamiCuse wrote:
I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Call a locksmith, or go to them with pictures. They may be able to get into
it by drilling a small hole and looking around with a thing called a
borescope. They then plug the hole and the safe is still, well, safe.

Did you try the more obvious numbers, like 10-20-30, 20-40-60, the man's
birthday, or his anniversary date? Or perhaps it was never changed from the
somewhat standard 50-25-50 default combination.

If you're in a big city, you might find a locksmith that has a device that
clamps onto the dial and spins it continuously for many hours until it finds
the right numbers. Such tools are expensive and not very common.