Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Which Provides Better Traction?

wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
"Jack" Windswept@home wrote in message
I've no experience driving a pickup truck in snow but have heard
that they provide terrible traction unless 4-WD is engaged. Assuming
that there are from 1" to 4" of snow, and assuming that
all other things are equal, e.g., tire tread, would you use a
compact car with front wheel drive, or a pickup with 4 WD
engaged?? Thanks.

All rear wheel drive vehicles are terrible in snow.

You never drove a Corvair, a Sunbeam Imp or an original VW
Beetle.

No, I missed all of those! I regret missing the Imp though.

Beetles were great in the snow, but if they were over a couple years
old, you had to drive with your head out the window to see, since the
tubes that fed the minimal heat to the windshield rotted out rapidly.
Once the pan started rotting as well, you could count on getting wet
driving through puddles.

I always heard that, but after 180,000 miles and 16 years, I still had
my original heater boxes and not problems. I had replaced a few mufflers
however and the floor was rotting through in the back. I live in Ohio where
snow and salt are standard fare.

aem sends...

--
Joseph Meehan