Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Bill is offline

Default Safe - how to open?

On 5 Feb 2007 22:29:41 -0800, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Contact savta.org and see if there's a good vault tech nearby. If so,
call and describe the safe. Is there a handle separate from the dial?
If so, try putting pressure on the handle (i.e. try to open the door)
while turning the dial. See if pressure on the handle makes the dial
harder to turn (even very slightly). If that is the case, the safe
can probably be manipulated, or opened without damage. Depending on
the mechanism, he might have to drill it, and that will cost plenty.
Good luck.