Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Which Provides Better Traction?

I hear what you're saying, but sometimes you just "can't." I have to
confess to having driven a Porsche 944 with summer tires in the snow a
few times, and it helps to know your limitations. The car is
excellently balanced, but if you can't move, it doesn't matter.

Since the girlie has been driving the car lately, I have invested in
snow tires. I don't feel the need to inflict my stupidity on others

nate

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
I've driven everything you could ever think of in the snow and the
absolute best was a Jeep Grand Cherokee with full time 4wd and a new
set of Wrangler AT/S tires. A pickup truck isn't balanced as well as
an SUV.

But, to answer your question, I'd take the 4wd truck over the little
front wheel drive car.

I like what Eric in North TX says: You either can or you can't. I
used to drive tow trucks for a living and I can't remember how many
times I'd get called to a car stuck in the snow, show up, and just
drive it out of the hole it was in. If that didn't work, 5 minutes
with a shovel and it'd come right out. I'd charge $75 without even
pulling out a winch cable.

Of course, I get to drive a Corvette home tonight in 4" of snow so if
this is my last post to this newsgroup then you can discount what I
just said.

-rev

On Feb 6, 3:14 pm, Windswept@home (Jack) wrote:

I've no experience driving a pickup truck in snow but have heard that
they provide terrible traction unless 4-WD is engaged. Assuming that
there are from 1" to 4" of snow, and assuming that all other things
are equal, e.g., tire tread, would you use a compact car with front
wheel drive, or a pickup with 4 WD engaged?? Thanks.

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel