Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bleau Joe Bleau is offline

Default Pinnacle Honing Guide?

I might as well jump into this sharpening fray--everyone else has. It
seems to me there is a bit of braggadocio (sp) at play here, i.e.,
those who blandly state that they don't need a jig, they just pour a
little kerosene (or whatever) onto their trusty oil stone and whip out
a razor sharp micro bevel in seconds. Juxtaposed are those who are in
constantly search for the latest gadget to do it all for them.

Well, perhaps it is vanity, but I think I can free hand a micro bevel
on an oil stone as well as almost anyone. I have a slow-turning water
wheel, an 8-inch grinder with the right white wheels, a 1-inch belt
sander, a Makita water wheel (primarily for sharpening joiner knives)
and a lot of other sharpening gadgets (I've always been a sucker for
gadgets so I understand what is at play here). I also have a complete
collection of Japanese water stones, ceramic stones in three grits, a
black arkansas stone, India stones, and an old rock that's fairly flat
+ a concrete floor in my shop that can be used if everything else
fails. I guess I have everything but the Tormek (which I never wanted
anyway--I would feel to ripped by the price of their accessories) and
the new Veritas plate sharpener (which I considered). I also have a
sisal buffing wheel that will put a polish on a rusty anchor for those
who think polish equates to sharpness.

The problem with free handing is that I (and I suspect most everyone
else) ends up with several facets. So I bought the new Veritas MK II
jig this past year. I also acquired five flat glass plates onto which
I stick abrasives ranging from 200 P to .03 microns. The time I spend
sharpening has been reduced dramatically and I end up with the
sharpest edges I have seen in many, many years of woodworking.

If I have a severely nicked edge I take it to my Makita wet plate
wheel and use a tool guide to lock it in to the bevel I desire. In a
flash I have a new, flat bevel (as opposed to hollow ground). From
there I lock it into the Veritas guide, slide it a few times across
the microabrasives and that's it. Couldn't be simpler. The greatest
cost is the approximately $50.00 for the Veritas guide. The
microabrasives cost very little. The Makita, which I only use for
severe cases, is primarily for sharpening joiner knives and I just
happen to have it. If I didn't have it I would use my 1" belt sander.
If I didn't have the belt sander I would make a jig to use on my
portable belt sander. In the absence of all of those I would go to
hollow grind. In other words, most shops have something around to get
the primary bevel. After that an investment of less than $55.00 will
equip you to obtain edges that might be equaled but can not be
surpassed.

So, bravo for the guys who whip it out freehand. I think in that
department I can keep up with the best of them. I just don't believe
they can sharpen as well or as fast as I can using a jig. The only
thing I lose is bragging rights. I don't mind being considered a wimp
so long as my tools stay sharp and you shouldn't either.

Joe