Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

But the bill under discussion doesn't seem to be about students and
classroom behavior. It's about controlling _parents'_ behavior.

Because the teachers do not teach the kids to be disruptive, the next
responsible person in line is the parent. A majority of the time a student
that is disruptive does not have enough adult supervision. the teacher
cannot devote as much attention as the parent. The reason to fine the
parents is because most all measures in getting the parent involved have
been exhaulsted.
If a 12 year old child torches a neighbors car, should the parent not be
called to take action? School should be prepairing our kids for real life.
Unfortunately undisiplined kids have a rude awaking when they get into the
real world and have to face the concequences of their actions. That is
mostly thier parents fault. We like to think that it is some one elses
responsibility but no one is more responsible than the parent. Teachers are
paid to teach. Shall we help them do their jobs?

|| I'm certain that your intentions are good; but being well-intended
|| doesn't make this approach even a little bit less toxic.
|
| I am certainly up for a better suggestion to solve the problem.
| Some times you simply have to go with something and improve from
| there. Until parents take their kids education and behavior at
| school seriously, something has to be done to correct non
| participation of the parents. If the $500 fine helps to remedy
| the problem by getting the parents more involved then perhaps the
| parents involvement will lead to better answers.

If fines are really a solution, then I'd cap the fine at the after-tax
amount earned by the best-paid parent for a single day's work - as
shown on the most recent pay stub(s) - perhaps reduced for work time
lost due to the court appearance.

That actually would very very often be far in excess of $500. I live in a
very modest sized home, 1,300 ft. and a majority of my neighbors live in
like sized homes. For a fact a couple of my close neighbors gross in excess
of $200,000.
I feel a fine that gets the parents attention would be the best method and I
am still up for reinvesting the parent's fine into the tutoring of his child
into what ever area the childs needs along with more parental involvement.

|| I'd like to suggest that in the context of purely good intention,
|| the distinction between "right or wrong" is of considerable
|| importance. Would you have your state and your schools teach
|| otherwise?
|
| I agree that the difference between right and wrong is totally what
| we are going for. If the kids see that non parental involvement is
| a problem perhaps the parents standing up to help with their kids
| will also teach what is right.

Then please accept my assurances that the legislation, as proposed,
will also hurt _kids_ - which IMO is _wrong_.

I do not for one second think that the proposed legislation will be good for
all kids. Regardless of what happens there are going to be some that are
left behind but doing nothing will be worse for more.

Further, if you teach the next generation that the end justifies the
means, then you will have taught them the same rationale being used to
justify the murder of innocent people with car bombs in middle eastern
marketplaces and houses of worship.

There is a difference between lawful and unlawful acts.