Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Steve is offline

Default Grout seal on porcelain tub floor

"frk040" wrote in news:1170765363.800316.277650
@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

I'm about to seal the grout on a small corner shower floor - small 2x2
porcelain tiles. I'm almost sure the tile installer said it would be
OK to seal BOTH grout and tile in shower to insure better water-
proofing. Everybody I asked said this is not needed because tile is
sealed already. Anybody wan't to add their 2 cents? THANKS

Sealing the tiles may not be "needed", but you might as well.

I just finished a house where I carefully sealed only the grout lines in
a standard bathtub, then quickly sealed both the tile and grout in a
large walk-in shower. These were 18" tiles with 3/8" grout lines.

The only difference was the time to do the work. The shower had at least
four times as much tile as the tub, but it took only 1/4 as much time.

Read the label on your sealer. Some don't change the look of the tile.

Test the sealer in on a scrap tile on in a hidden corner. Since you have
porcelain tiles, it probably won't matter.

Did I mention that you should read the label on the sealer?