Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Which Provides Better Traction?

Jack wrote:
I've no experience driving a pickup truck in snow but have heard that
they provide terrible traction unless 4-WD is engaged.

Yep, mostly due to the fact that there is no weight over the rear
wheels. Around here (Saskatchewan) people put sandbags in the truck bed
to help with this.

Assuming that
there are from 1" to 4" of snow, and assuming that all other things
are equal, e.g., tire tread, would you use a compact car with front
wheel drive, or a pickup with 4 WD engaged?? Thanks.

That's really not that much snow (I've driven my compact car in 6" of
snow multiple times this winter).

The 4wd would have an edge on starting, but its ability to stop is no
better than a 2wd.

Chris