Posted to alt.home.repair
J.C. J.C. is offline

Default Electrical

Thanks Doug, appreciate the help.

JC

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article , "J.C."
wrote:
What I want to do is use the existing line (underground) from the 100 amp
box to the old house and connect it to a 200 amp box for the new house.
Can
I do this without having to run a new line?

Probably not -- depends on what the existing line is, but it's doubtful
that
any electrician would have installed wiring heavy enough for 200A when
your
existing service is only 100A.

I looked at the incoming line
from the electric company pole. It said AWG 4 but it looked very small.

AWG 4 copper wire is fine for a 100A service entrance -- but can't be used
for
anything over that. You need a minimum of 2/0 copper, or 4/0 aluminum, for
your new 200A service.

The
line going from the box to the old house is multi wire aluminum (about 160
feet) but I can't read anything to tell what it is.

Keep looking -- it's there. Probably molded into the insulation, though,
not
painted or printed on it.

It is about the size of
a penny, circumference wise.

Meaningless. If you can accurately -- and safely -- measure the diameter
of
the conductor (not the insulation), then you can figure out what gauge it
is.

Also, can I keep the 100 amp box to supply the
workshop and office and have a new 200 amp in the new house?

Yes.

--
Regards,