Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Safe - how to open?

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
et...
MiamiCuse wrote:
I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Thanks,

MC

I'd say you should talk to your lawyer first. Even if the previous owner
gave or gives you a release saying the safe and anything in it is yours to
do with as you wish, there might just be stuff in it which was NOT his
property in the first place.

It's not inconceivable that if there is stuff in it belonging to others
which is really valuable and word gets out you might have to deal with the
rightful owners or their heirs.

As others have already told you,professionals can open ANY safe. Money is
a great lubricant and almost anything can be accomplished if you're
willing to pour enough of it onto the problem. Depending on the quality
and age of the safe that could mean anything from a hundred bucks to
"OMG".

Jeff

Speaking of old folks saving stuff: A friend of mine used to be into buying
and refinishing antique furniture. One day, he and his wife found a really
nice dresser at an estate auction. They bought it for $150.00. As they were
metallic sliding around. They stood it up again, pulled out the drawers, and
under the bottom drawer was a lightweight metal box containing $4,000.00 in
hundred dollar bills. They went home fast.