Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default Slat bed question

Stoutman .@. wrote:
: Question #1: If I am off a little in parallel is their a trick to fix the
: slats so they all fit ? I was going to attach them to the rails with
: biscuits.

Make them a bit short. make sure the surface they rest on (the
relevant part of the external sides) is wide enough.

: Question #2: Do you think bscuits will be a strong of enough joint for the
: slats? There is no up and down forces pulling on the joint so I was
: thinking biscuits would work.

Forget biscuits. Two common means of doing this are to use a screw in the
middle of each slate (to allow for expansion) down into the side of the
bed, or join the slats together with a ribbon of canvas, then screw a few
of them in place (the canvas prevents to rest from sliding too much).

I would personally also forgoe the box spring, and just use more slats, and
lay the mattress on top of them directly. The box spring is pointless.

-- Andy Barss