Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Road Tax on driving a vehicle

Huge wrote:
On 2007-02-06, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Well it ought to be about three times the price..then scrap all road tax
and all congestion charges and all traffic calming and most of the lights.

People will not drive fast if it costs them an extra pound every ten
miles if they do.

Nor will they drive casually if its costing them half a days salary to
go to the shops in the next town.

I never drive anywhere "casually". Am I unusual in that respect? I suspect
that people have simply got used to the cost of fuel and no longer
think about it. The fact that it costs x pounds to drive somewhere generally
causes me to think twice about it, or combine trips.

Most peole I know who are braodly 'normal people' just use the car
whenever and wherever they feel a need with no idea of thinking it
through..we have run out of coffee, pop down to the supermarket and get
some.. oh - there's no milk, go again' and so on.

planning is not a skill you need when everything can be satisfied
instantly by driving somewhere to a 24x7 supermarket.