Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Safe - how to open?

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 07:15:55 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

MiamiCuse wrote:
I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

I've seen 'em do it. They drill an itty-bitty hole (quarter-inch) in a
special place and, with the aid of a teeny-weenie light and flexible tools
poke around in the safe's innards.

After getting it open, you can repair the hole.

Probably take a couple of hours.

You'll pay the rate you'd expect from a professional's on-location visit,
I'd guess a couple hundred.

Before you take steps, I'd get a firm commitment as to the ownership of the
safe and its contents.

Or you hire an OCD 12-year old to sit there for three days
trying every possible combination. It's not like you're
in a hurry.