Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] scott21230@gmail.com is offline

Default Dip-stripping company in Boston area?

On Feb 6, 6:12 am, "Mark Monitor" wrote:
dipping doors tends to break down the glue that holds the door together
be prepared to glue all the parts back together.

"blueman" wrote in message

...| writes:

| Have you tried using a heat gun?
|
| Well doors have 100+ years of lead paint etc. so probably not good to
| use a heat gun. Plus, I would prefer the convenience of a dip rather
| than hours and hours of hand scraping/heating/chemicals etc...

I've done it several times, and the paint bubbles right off. I could
do a door in less time than anyone here has quoted for a dipping place
so far. Using the heat gun won't get it off to the point that you
could stain it. I repaint them. It's really not that hard if the
paint bubbles up. All the stuff you hear about lead paint is mostly
BS, it's not cryptonite. Just wear a respirator and change your
clothes and shower when you are done and do this in a well ventilated
area. I don't use chemicals on the doors, just bubble up the paint,
scrape off, then use a 1/3 sheet sander, then use some DAP plastic
wood as filler for imperfections, then prime and paint. They lok
great when I'm done.