Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 04:28:10 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry) wrote:

Perhaps my use of the word "truancy" was in error. At any rate, regardless
of the reason, after a certain length of time, the school system under
force of law demands documentation that an absent child is receiving
an eduction that complies with state standards.

If the school system has expelled the child from the schools then the
school system no longer has the authority to demand _anything_. If
the school system wants a child who has been expelled to be provided
an education that complies with state standards it is up to the school
system to either readmit that child to the schools or to provide
tutors at home on their dime. They're not allowed to have it both
ways--if they aren't willing to provide the child an education then
they in general don't have the right to demand that anybody else do
what they refuse to do.

My daughter was
homeschooled for a few years so I have some familiarity with those
requirements.

Was she homeschooled because you removed her from the publuc schools
or was it because the public schools expelled her? If it was the
former then you are _not_ familiar with the situation involving a
child who has been expelled from the schools.

The only point I'm trying to make is that a $500 fine for the
failure of a parent to attend a meeting is possibly unnecessary
legislation, if its purpose is truly to simply get the parent to
a meeting. The scool jurisdiction may already have adequate,
acceptable methods of persuasion, without resorting to a $500 fine
and the socio-economic controversy it brings along.

Perhaps they do, but expelling the child from the school is not one of
them.