Posted to alt.home.repair
Amanda Amanda is offline

Default To the nice people in this ng

On Feb 5, 4:31 pm, mm wrote:
On 5 Feb 2007 12:54:50 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

So it stopped working altogether and I wonder whether it's just the
wire blowing up. I have a family friend, like a brother, an
Electrical Engineer, who will be visiting me in a week or two. I am

One would think that any electical engineer would know how to fix such
things better than I do, or at least that all are interested in fixing
electrical things, but I'm pretty that not all do or are. So don't
give him a hard time if he begs off.

I didn't plan on insisting he fixed it. I was just going ask to take a
look and see whether it's fixable easily.

I'm sure he knows electrical engineering better than I do/

thinking to ask him to take a look if it is just the wire. This unit
has some sort of sensor, right? Could that be that sensor?

OTOH, if he will be interested, you should either have a supply of
tools available somewhere or warn him before he leaves home.

Home Depot is 5 mins w/ no highway travel from me. Whetevr he needs,
we could get it.

I keep having to buy voltmeters when I visit my brother, because I don't
normally keep one in my suitcase, and more than once I"ve needed one
to fix something he has. At least I could get a different model each
time, and I was saving him money. I really have enough voltmeters
now, so I hope I remember to take one in my suitcase, but the TSA will
probably think it is a bomb.

I don't want to bother him if it is the sensor that got damaged
instead.

I have doubts about sleeping with the heater. Electric heating pads
warn against sleeping with the pad because, they say, you may end up
lying on the pad, and indeed my mother did once and got a burn that
did not heal quickly.

I am a very light sleeper. And I don't fall asleep when noisy and when
it's hot. This heater is not quiet as advertised. If I dozed off for
a reason and get burned, I would only blame myself, not my luck.

Not the same thing as a heater of course, but I wonder how hot the air
gets and if it could set fire to the sheets and blankets.

This heater has auto shut off feature when it gets too hot.

A heating blanket is the most efficient way to stay warm when in bed.

I don't want to stay warm.

Anything made in the last 20 or 25 years has been redesigned in case
there was anything to the fears about low frequency radiation. WRT
high-tension lines, they finally decided it was not a problem, but I
think once they redesigned electric blankets, they stopped doing
research on the old ones. ??

I might buy an electric throw but I am trying not to watch *any* tv
anymore. Lately, if I watched any, I dozed off anyway. That's how
boring everything on TV is these days.