Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Electric motor/circuit question

BCDrums wrote:
Toller wrote:

Well... unless you had a very long circuit it would not matter. And,
as someone said, it would affect the TV more; assuming you had both on
at the same time. If you don't have the TV on, it is a dedicated
circuit.

It's about a 35' run from the panel to the treadmill. And I ALWAYS have
the TV and stereo on when I'm using the treadmill- it is a tedious way
to exercise!
¤Ç¤Ñ¤Ñ

If you had a very long circuit (opposite corner of the house from the
panel, 3 stories apart...) you could have had excessive voltage drop,
and that might have caused the motor to fail. It is most unlikely,
but if you want to test it, turn the treadmill on while watching the
voltage with a volt meter. If it dips significantly, you might need a
heavier cable.

I put the probes of a multimeter into the outlet into which the
treadmill is plugged, which is downstream of the TV/Stereo. The meter
didn't move when the TV and stereo powered up. Then I turned on the
treadmill and took it up to our usual speed. Again, the meter did not
move. Is this a valid test for voltage drop?

Thanks for the help.
BC

Hmmm,
Analog or Digital meter? What is the display rare of the meter? Maybe
too slow to show the fluctuation. If motor is under powered it'll rowl a
lot and it won't run at normal efficiency. Isn't TV screen flicker when
motor is turned on?