Roy

Default Garage Doors

Ken, Sterling wrote:

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:05:49 GMT, Ken Sterling wrote:
It's a 25 year old house and the garage is attached. Three of the
springs are of unknown vintage but have rust forming on them. One I
took a guess about the weight and replaced about 3 years ago. I'm
pretty sure that at least a few of the springs have been replaced over
the years as there are marks on both sides of the door where the
springs have snapped and smashed through the 1/4" panelling.

I checked the rails and they look good. I ensured the cables are on
the pulleys and the door still raises up the one side faster than the
other and jams. A spring imbalance seem to make the most sense.

--George

Are you sure you need new springs yet?
Ken.

Okay, you state that the "door still raises up the one side faster
than the other", which means that the spring tension on that side is
higher.... increase the opposite side's tension until the door raises
up "evenly" (by hand). The opener should not have to strain to lift
the door - that's what the springs are for.
Ken.

Or if the wheels and pulleys are rusted and are seized such that they drag
rather then turn, one side could drag enough to cause a jam. Has the rolling
gear been oiled every year ore at least lately?