Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC Fly-by-Night CC is offline

Default OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

In article ,
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Given that most likely the purpose for the "conference" is to resolve a
behavioral problem, the suspending of that child's access to school is
going to facilitate the education of the remaining children in that child's
classes.

In our district we have two scheduled parent/teacher conferences per
school year. It's a time to learn where your child sits academically and
how the teacher will be tailoring the subjects to their needs. Every
parent is expected to sign up at a time convenient to them -
unfortunately, many stand up the teacher.

BTW, the subject of teachers holding masters degrees came up in the last
couple days in this thread. I just found out today - quite by
happenstance - that my neighborhood elementary school has an
instructional staff with 12.6 years average experience, 35% hold
master's degree or higher and 96.2% meet the Federal "Highly Qualified
Teacher" guideline.

We are not a middle or upper income neighborhood - quite the contrary as
more then 62% of our 390-ish students are federally defined as
economically disadvantaged.

Overall, I think teachers are trying damn hard to do their best with the
constraints they are under as well as the lack of support from many
parents and some very vocal political activists. Instead of criticizing,
get involved!
--
This Administration begs the question: WWJT?

_____
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company