Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Road Tax on driving a vehicle

John Rumm wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:

The reality is that something has to be done to reverse the ever
increasing amount of traffic and the Conservatives know it too.

I have never quite followed the logic of this "ever increasing"
argument. Just who is supposed to drive all these extra cars? Most
people eligible for a drivers licence already has one. The number
turning 17 each year probably does not even match the death rate. So
appart from social trends forcing more people to resort to car use,
there does not seem to be that much scope for expansion.

Perhaps rather than trying to social engineer a different response to
car use which goes against necessity and human nature, they ought to
consider encouraging an environment where the need for car use is less.
Home shopping is starting that trend. We just need home working to catch
up.

The short answer is to remove all obstacles to traffic FLOW - all those
humps bumps traffic lights and chicanes..and to tax fuel till the pips
squeak.

People will think twice about a trip to the supermarket to get some
coffee if it costs 30 quid in fuel.

The surplus tax take can go on better roads, or better railways. Or VAT
rebates for those who HAVE to use cars..etc..like fireman and ambulances
and the like.