Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Electric motor/circuit question

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:39:01 -0500, BCDrums
wrote:

Toller wrote:

Well... unless you had a very long circuit it would not matter. And, as
someone said, it would affect the TV more; assuming you had both on at the
same time. If you don't have the TV on, it is a dedicated circuit.

It's about a 35' run from the panel to the treadmill. And I ALWAYS have
the TV and stereo on when I'm using the treadmill- it is a tedious way
to exercise!

If you had a very long circuit (opposite corner of the house from the panel,
3 stories apart...) you could have had excessive voltage drop, and that
might have caused the motor to fail. It is most unlikely, but if you want
to test it, turn the treadmill on while watching the voltage with a volt
meter. If it dips significantly, you might need a heavier cable.

I put the probes of a multimeter into the outlet into which the
treadmill is plugged, which is downstream of the TV/Stereo. The meter
didn't move when the TV and stereo powered up. Then I turned on the
treadmill and took it up to our usual speed. Again, the meter did not
move. Is this a valid test for voltage drop?

Thanks for the help.
BC

I would do the test again with you on the treadmill and someone else
watching the meter.

Although you can't do that because the motor isn't strong enough to
work the thing now, iirc, right?

Then do it after you get the new motor.

BTW, does the plug get hot after you're on the treadmill. It
shouldn't, and I suppose if it does it is reducing the voltage. I had
a 40 year old receptacle and a 15 amp space heater in my bedroom, and
woke up in the morning to find a 1 to 1 1/2 inch flame coming from the
plug. The plug got hot, and I don't know if it reduced any voltage but
it ignited itself. Fortunately the flame went out after I pulled the
plug out. I don't quite know why.