Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default End grain - wet or dry wood

Hi Mark

Thanks for looking at my Website, and the response.

Mark I have to inform you that to my chagrin, Carob trees do not grow
in this part of Canada or any other part of Canada that I am aware of.

It (the Ceratonia siliqua, a single species) does come from the
Eastern Mediterranean and requires a hot dry summers to do well, and
is only marginally frost hardy, so we have the hot summer for a short
while, but the frost is a little to harddy ;-)) up here, last night it
was well below 0.F.

You can have my "Manitoba Maple", if I can have your "Carob tree",
only the woody part, not the weather though.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum30.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Feb 5, 2:47 pm, "Mark Fitzsimmons"
wrote:
Leo,
Looking at your page, I noticed "acer negundo" on one of the pictures,
but it looks like a picture of carob (Ceratonia siliqua). There is no
way that red wood is a boxelder maple.

On the other hand, I have turned a LOT of carob, from at least four or
five different carob trees, and that red stuff there sure looks
exactly like carob.