Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Road Tax on driving a vehicle

Tony Bryer wrote:

The
reality is that something has to be done to reverse the ever
increasing amount of traffic and the Conservatives know it too.

I have never quite followed the logic of this "ever increasing"
argument. Just who is supposed to drive all these extra cars? Most
people eligible for a drivers licence already has one. The number
turning 17 each year probably does not even match the death rate. So
appart from social trends forcing more people to resort to car use,
there does not seem to be that much scope for expansion.

Perhaps rather than trying to social engineer a different response to
car use which goes against necessity and human nature, they ought to
consider encouraging an environment where the need for car use is less.
Home shopping is starting that trend. We just need home working to catch
up.

--
Cheers,

John.