Posted to alt.home.repair
dlzc dlzc is offline

Default How to remove odor from car trunk

Dear LurfysMa:

On Feb 4, 1:49 pm, LurfysMa wrote:
I emptied the trunk. I was able to wash the some of
the items and they came out free of the smell. The
trunk has a removable carpet pad. I put it on the
driveway and hosed it off. Still smells. I then
scrubbed it with hot water and soap. Still smells. I
also tried a carpet cleaner product and I left it in the
sun for several days. Still smells.

Contact a dealer about getting a replacement carpet + backing put in.
Your time has to be worth something.

I thought the packages only leaked onto the
removable pad, but apparently it soaked through to
the non-removable lining of the trunk as well, as it
still stinks in there.

There are various "soft parts" that line the trunk, that likely will
also have absorbed the odor. I concur with "zek" that oxyclean
solution sprayed into the trunk, and sucked out after a couple of
minutes with a shop vac might work. *If* the same solution has any
effect on the carpet + pad you were able to get out, of course.

Ozone probably will do an OK job, if the material that got soaked is
not too thick. Otherwise the ozone will likely damage the padding,
making it stink as if it were old... Ozone is the method of choice
for remediating odors from smoke damage and oftentimes for mold.

Some advice available via Google using
odor carpet "rotten meat"
.... like
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf286200.tip.html