Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default Pinnacle Honing Guide?

On Feb 5, 11:19?am, Leuf wrote:
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:15:48 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

On 5 Feb 2007 03:44:05 -0800, "Charlie Self"
wrote:

On Feb 4, 10:27?pm, Leuf wrote:
There are some skills I just don't see the point of acquiring. One of
them is holding a chisel perfectly at a specific angle while moving it
back and forth. And I would appear to not be alone in this opinion

A lot of bucks for something that can easily be done by hand, if not
quite as accurately--but, then again, who has used this jig and how
accurate is it?

Okay a chisel maybe has a large enough bevel that you could do it by
hand without much practice, but give me a break on the plane irons.
I've tried it before I got a jig and forget about it.

There are at least a dozen guides, probably more like two or three
dozen, that work perfectly well with plane irons, including the
General and the Veritas. None of them approach $50, never mind $100.

The Pinnacle may be a wonder, a whirling dervish of a hand sharpening
jig, but IMO, it is too damned costly by at least $45.