Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Road Tax on driving a vehicle

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:03:23 UTC, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On 5 Feb 2007 19:40:14 GMT Bob Eager wrote :
I have no problem with that....but I'd prefer it to be done via fuel
pricing, or whatever. Otherwise it's just one more state control and
surveillance tool.

But ultimately, and missed by most commentators, this is not about
making money

True

rather persuading people to change their lifestyles.

Probably not. Merely an excuse to install trackers.

So
the mother quoted by the OP doesn't spend £86 a month to take her
children to school, but sends them by PT, moves house or sends them to
a school in walking distance.

That's assuming there is a choice. Nearest suitable school for my kids
is at least 8 miles away. Terrible public transport (1.5hrs by bus).
We've sent him FURTHER away so he can go by train. GIvernments never
seem to grasp that a big stick won't work if there is no alternative.

As to surveillance, there are so many cameras around these days I
suspect that they can track anyone they need to.

That's not so joined-up, though. And there aren't cameras everywhere
yet.

http://www.diybanter.com