Martin H. Eastburn

Default Garage Doors

When the power twinkles or the like around here, I often get false setup
on the Shop door. (normally cars stored in it but I never do that!)

Martin

George wrote:

The cable does have some frayed strands. I don't see any color dabs
on the springs. Any suggestions on what I need? It is a 7' tall 2.5
car wide wood composite door. As mentioned there are four springs -
two on each side.

On 20 Feb 2004 16:24:45 -0800, (Doordoc) wrote:

George wrote in message . ..

I can't get my garage door to open where my tools are at. It is a
wide 2.5 car door and has 2 large long springs on each side. Yes,
this is the old dangerous kind of spring that loves to snap through
boards & people when they break.

When I look at the door from the outside, there is a visible drop on
the left side which I can plainly see due to a change in paint color
from where I painted it a year back vs. newly uncovered old paint that
was previously hidden. Thus, I know one side has definitely dropped.
I look at the railing/guides and everything tooks fine. Did a cable
slip or is one of the old springs giving out? The springs look okay
and the cable is on both pulley wheels. Beyond that, I don't know
what to look for.

If I lift on the door while someone else actuates the electric door
opener, it will then open with a little help.

Any suggestions on what to check?

If the cables are fraying where they would also stretch it sounds like
your extension springs are stretching out & losing their strength to
open the door evenly. With the door open the springs should only be
stretched about 2". Change all four at the same time to make sure they
will all pull equally.

As for seeing old paint on the left I doubt if the door is shrinking
at the bottom. So either the door wasn't fully closed (may have looked
like it was though) when it was painted or your conrete slab is
sinking or the header is rising.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com

--