Posted to uk.d-i-y
viv viv is offline

Default could my meter be faulty?

I live in a one-bedroom flat, and because I'm afraid of getting a big
gas bill, I'm *very* sparing with my central heating. I usually just
put it on for half an hour when I come in each night, just to take the
chill off the air. At most, it'll be on for an hour or so. And the
only hot water I use is the water that's been heated through the
central heating being on (ie: I use the setting for "hot water and C/
H" rather than '"hot water only", then use some of the hot water to
wash, do dishes, etc, after I've turned the C/H off again). This is
the only thing use gas for, as I have an electric cooker.

I'm being as frugal as I can be, yet my gas bill from Powergen for
last quarter was over £110. This seems really excessive.

Also, I noticed that when I deliberately left the heating/hot water
off completely for a week, the meter still went on running, and
clocked up half a cubic metre of gas. The only way I can keep the
meter from running is to turn the gas off at the mains.

I contacted Powergen and they said gas meters were 'very rarely
faulty'.

I don't know anyone else where I live that has gas central heating, so
can't compare bills. Could anyone here tell me if this bill seems too
high?

Thanks in advance.