Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Exploding Broiler Element

On Feb 5, 8:05 am, "David Martel" wrote:
Jeff,

I'm not sure I follow the sequence of events. The service guy comes out,
tests, diagnoses the problem (bad element and bad board), replaces the
broiler element as authorized, and leaves because you won't authorize the
board replacement. Is that right? Why did you authorize the broiler element?
After the tests and diagnosis what did he say to you? Just a bad element?
Bad element and a bad board? Does the oven element work?
Like you, I'm surprised the breaker did not trip. PC boards can fail
without "burn marks". I'm troubled by the absence of error codes. Why does
the tech want to replace the board? How does he know that the new element
isn't at fault or a wire?

My guess is sequence of events went something like --

1. Replaced element w/ no prior diagnostics as it obviously failed.
2. Somewhat surprisingly, actually tried it before left.
3. Assumed board must be bad.
4. Failing to have one with him, had no clue of what else could be
wrong and no idea how to find out.

It's not very surprising the element didn't draw enough current to
trip the breaker. Turning off the broiler element at the oven should
have been as effective as the breaker. If it wasn't, that would be a
clue that there actually was another failure at the board level.

Not knowing what faults are and are not detectable by the onboard
diagnostics, the lack of a failure code might or might not be of any
significance. That's one thing the Whirlpool people should be able to
provide. It might be there's a "reset" somewhere or a fuse in the
line although if so, one would expect it to have gone earlier -- but,
it's possible it was weakened then went when the power was reapplied
if it exists. Could, of course, simply be a faulty replacement
element -- somewhat unlikely, but not impossible. Or, it's possible a
connection was also burnt when the element went as someone else
suggested indirectly. If OP has a VOM, could measure voltage at the
element connection to see if it is actually not getting power. I'm
guessing that given that he/she called a tech to replace an element
that isn't likely, though.

Could check w/ the online appliance parts places and see what the
board costs that way for a quick comparison. Of course, if needs a
tech to replace it, that's of little comfort, too...