Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Frozen well pump - help!

In article , Gerry Atrick wrote:
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 03:36:35 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Gerry Atrick

wrote:

If you missed the original message, she shut off the pump and left the
water standing in the hydrant. Hydrants must be shut off to let the
water standing in the pipe to drain into the soil at the bottom of the
hydrant. Thats the way they work. It should have been shut off
before the pump was shut off.

It wouldn't matter if the hydrant was shut off after the pump -- the only
thing that matters is if the hydrant is shut off at all.

If the hydrant is in the ON position, the entire stand-pipe is filled
with water. It can not drain down into the soil when the handle is in
the UP (or ON) position. They operate like a 2-way valve. When the
handle is UP, the water comes out the hose fitting. When the handle
is DOWN, it shuts off the water that enters the hydrant (below the
ground), and opens a drain hole to allow the water to drain out of the
stand-pipe. If she left the handle UP, the pump was off so no water
could flow, but the drain hole was never opened to allow the water to
drain out of the stand-pipe. That water froze.

I understand perfectly well how they work. You, apparently, did not understand
what I wrote. Perhaps you should re-read it. My point was that it doesn't
matter whether the hydrant is shut off before, or after, the pump -- as long
as it is shut off.

--
Regards,