Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 04:19:51 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry) wrote:

I think the $500 fine is ridiculous, but there are other ways
to encourage parents to meet with teachers. Parents are
"inconvenienced" (Certainly not the word I would choose, I think
"obligated" is more accurate) in all kinds of ways while raising their
kids. I would look at the way schools (in my area anyway) handle
vaccinations as a guide. If a kid doesn't have proper vaccinations,
he or she cannot attend school. If enough time passes without
the child in school, the truancy laws kick in.

When I was a kid we got vaccinated at school unless the parents
instructed otherwise. And if the child is not in school because the
school won't allow the child on the premises, then the child is not
"truant".

The $500 fine could certainly be construed as unreasonable, but IMHO
keeping a child out of school until a parent meets with his or her
teacher or a school official is certainly a reasonable action. And
most jurisdictions already have truancy laws on the books.

"Keeping a child out of school until . . ." is called "suspension"
and a kid who has been "suspended" is not "truant"--in this state if a
kid is suspended or otherwise prohibited from attending school then
the school is obligated by law to provide tutoring at his home.