Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Doug is offline

Default Electric water heater - heating element design change....

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 07:57:16 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

There has been no change. There are a variety of heaters and variety of
wattages. Typical full sized heaters are available in 3800,4500, and 5500,
some with duel wattage connections. The installer must use the tank
appropriate for the job and replace under sized feeders if necessary

I beg to differ.

During the era of 10 + years ago, the standard residential home water
heaters supplied by the majority of local suppliers, in terms of tank
sizes from 30 to 85 gallons, all used 3800 watt elements. Obviously
other sizes could be special ordered. I know this because I installed
quite a few back then.

These days, those suppliers plus the big box stores only stock the
same sized heaters with 4500 watt elements.
And of course, yes, other sizes can still be special ordered.

When one is replacing one on an emergency basis on a weekend for
tenants, one has to use what's available on the shelf.

Ever since my state passed a state statute allowing for rather heavy
local taxation for on the shelf inventory, the suppliers have been
stocking only that which sells rapidily and in quantity.

Doug