Posted to alt.home.repair
Ermalina Ermalina is offline

Default When will home prices start droping in coastal areas?

wrote:

On 4 Feb 2007 12:08:47 -0800, "
wrote:

On Feb 4, 3:06?pm, wrote:
On 4 Feb 2007 11:34:59 -0800, "
wrote:

With the hoopla over global warming rising sea levels When will home
prices start droping in coastal areas?

Based on the predictions of the rate of sea level rise, about 2150 or
so.
I doubt !n extra foot or so of water is going to deter someone who is
built 11-15 feet above (2007) sea level. I could use an extra foot of
water in my canal.

some are talking 20 feet, will your feet be wet if it rises that much

That is not a rational estimate and far from what any reasonsible
scientist has predicted. I am at 14 feet and I will be dead long
before that happens, even if you take the worst guess scenario.

NOT TRUE.

Here's a VERY "reasonable scientist" (Jim Hansen, director of NASA's
Goddard Institute for Space Studies) who says:

"If we follow business as usual, and we don't get off this course where
year by year we're getting larger and larger emissions of CO2, then
we'll have large sea-level rises this century and I think that will
become more apparent over the next decade or two," Dr Hansen said.

"The last time it was 3C warmer, sea levels were 25 metres [82 feet]
higher, plus or minus 10 metres [33 feet]. You'd not get that in one
century, but you could get several metres [3.3 feet per meter] in one
century," he said.

"Half the people in the world live within 15 miles of a coastline. A
large fraction of the major cities are on coastlines."

http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...cle2116874.ece

Here are some FACTS:

1. Rising seas, caused by global warming, have for the first time washed
an inhabited island off the face of the Earth.

http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...cle2099971.ece

2. The Ayles ice shelf (40 square miles) in the Canadian Arctic has
broken up, 16 months ago

"Until now, there had not been a similar event among the six major
shelves remaining in Canada's Arctic, which are packed with ancient ice
that is more than 3,000 years old."

http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...cle2112609.ece

3. Greenland's ice shelves are melting and breaking free of the land

http://www.iht.com/bin/print.php?id=4219963

Here's an interesting excerpt from some "reasonable scientists"

"A study in The Journal of Climate last June observed that Greenland had
become the single largest contributor to global sea-level rise.

Until recently, the consensus of climate scientists was that the impact
of melting polar ice sheets would be negligible over the next 100 years.
Ice sheets were thought to be extremely slow in reacting to atmospheric
warming.

.. . . given the acceleration of tidewater-glacier melting, a sea-level
rise of a foot or two in the coming decades is entirely possible, he
said. That bodes ill for island nations and those who live near the
coast.

"Even a foot rise is a pretty horrible scenario," said Stephen P.
Leatherman, director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida
International University in Miami.

snip

"Here in Miami," Leatherman said, "we're going to have an ocean on both
sides of us."

snip

Global warming has profoundly altered the nature of polar exploration,
said Schmitt, who in 40 years has logged more than 100 Arctic
expeditions. Routes once pioneered on a dogsled are routinely paddled in
a kayak now; many features, like the Ward Hunt Ice Shelf in Greenland's
northwest, have disappeared for good.