Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] marks542004@yahoo.com is offline

Default Any great way to start my generator?

On Feb 4, 6:02 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have a 4 year old Honda EU2000i with about 200 hours of use. I have done
the proper maintenance on it.
I leave it with gas and gas stabilizer, and start it up for 5 minutes once a
month. When it gets hard to start I change the gas; that is about once a
year.

Tonight we had 2 brief power losses, and since it is 5 degrees out, I
thought it would be a good idea to warm up the generator. It wouldn't
start. I brought it in the house for a half hour, but that didn't help. I
changed the gas; that did the trick. As I understand it, the most volatile
parts of the gas evaporate, leaving something behind that is inadequate to
start the engine; is that correct? Is there anything I could add to the old
gas to revive it? Everything worked out fine (no outage so far, and the
generator finally started) but I would hate to have to do this in the dark
during a real outage. (I mean, besides changing the gas more often...)

Thanks.

My emergency generator is alowed to run dry and the tank left empty
waiting for the next use. I keep a small gas can near it, and that
gets used for the lawnmowers and such. The gas is usualy less than a
month old.

Since they went in my area to ethanol in the gas, I have had problems
with gas stabilizers in the snowthrowers and lawnmowers. I now run
everything dry after draining the tanks, and store it that way. I
havent had a problem the last two winters. The emergency generator is
moved inside an attached garage if a major storm is expected, so it
is above freezing . We wheel it out onto a covered patio when
running.