Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default End grain - wet or dry wood

A skew is what I would use on the outside of a box but boxes are usually
turned in spindle orientation while bowls have grain (usually) at 90* to the
lathe bed. Boxes are also generally smaller. If the bowl was a small
endgrain one then no problem, but with what you are describing as a changing
grain pattern, I assumed the bowl was turned in the usual fashion.

--

God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 2, 5:59 pm, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:
Dick
You are a brave man. The thought of a skew cut on the outside of a bowl
brings back memories of beginning turning. I still have all my fingers
but I
am not skewing a bowl again.

I went back to view the Richard Raffan video in which he turns a
lidded box. The lid is a curved shape, not unlike the outside of the
small bowls I am making. He seems to do OK with a skew.

What are your thoughts on Raffan's use of the skew?

Dick Durbin