Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default Pinnacle Honing Guide?

On 4 Feb 2007 14:24:28 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 4, 4:53 pm, Leuf wrote:
If you've gotten your latest Woodcraft catalog you've seen this new
honing guide.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20080

Pricey little bugger. I like the concept of keeping the guide off the
stone, but it seems like you'll wear a hollow in the stone a lot
faster being forced to keep the chisel in one line.

Wow...we were thinking the same thing at roughly the same time!

I like the fact that it has several pressure points along with keeping
the guide off the stone or sandpaper. I was thinking about getting a
couple honing plates and keep using sandpaper.

I see lots of holes in the jig, and 4 knobs. Two of them are holding
guides at the sides of the chisel and two are holding the chisel
itself. I'm not sure if there are more knobs that you can use with
wider blades or what.

I just hope I am not getting sucked into some sort of gimmick. Maybe
what I should do is simply learn how to sharpen chisels and irons
WITHOUT some sort of crutch.

There are some skills I just don't see the point of acquiring. One of
them is holding a chisel perfectly at a specific angle while moving it
back and forth. And I would appear to not be alone in this opinion

-Leuf