Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Identifying Wooden Studs on Foil Backed Plasterboard wall

On 4 Feb, 13:54, Owain wrote:
Merryterry wrote:

I am thinking of putting another handrail up my staircase, (we are
getting old and crotchity),
The lower half of the staircase is ok to fix on as it is on blockwork
but the top section, (1st Floor level) is a studded foil backed
plasterboard wall. I would not trust hollow fixings in the
plasterboard for such a potential load but I cannot identify the studs
because the board is foil backed and my stud detector just bleeps
everywhere.
Any ideas other than making trial holes everywhere?

Instead of using handrail-on-brackets, use the handrail profile that
fixes straight to the wall. Then you can make lots of trial holes along
the line of the handrail and they'll be covered when the handrail goes
on. You also won't have to worry about brackets being regularly spaced
for appearance's sake.

Owain

IME those dont give nearly as good grip in use, as you cant get your
hand round it, but its a good backup option if other approaches are
problematic.

NT