Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Power Amp Repair

Haaky wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Haaky wrote:
I'm wondering if it's something in the power supply?

Pretty unlikely.

It's seems like it's getting a surge of power when i turn it on. Not all the
time just
on occasion.

You mean it sometimes goes HUMMmmmmm...... at switch one ?

That's quite normal especially with toroidal transformers.

So far it's done it twice since i got it back. As soon as i hit the
power switch the fuse in the back popped. When i replaced the fuse and
switched it back on
it worked fine. Seems to be an intermitten thing, i hope. I don't mind
that so much if it only happens on occassion, i'm just affraid that
eventually something else will go wrong with it. And i know it will
happen when the warrenty they gave runs out.

I suspect I know what the problem is. I'll bet it does use a toroidal transformer
and the cheapskates haven't bothered fitting a surge-guard device.

This all points to poor/skimpy design I'm afraid.

Graham