Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] busbus@gmail.com is offline

Default Pinnacle Honing Guide?

On Feb 4, 4:53 pm, Leuf wrote:
If you've gotten your latest Woodcraft catalog you've seen this new
honing guide.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20080

Pricey little bugger. I like the concept of keeping the guide off the
stone, but it seems like you'll wear a hollow in the stone a lot
faster being forced to keep the chisel in one line.

Wow...we were thinking the same thing at roughly the same time!

I like the fact that it has several pressure points along with keeping
the guide off the stone or sandpaper. I was thinking about getting a
couple honing plates and keep using sandpaper.

I just hope I am not getting sucked into some sort of gimmick. Maybe
what I should do is simply learn how to sharpen chisels and irons
WITHOUT some sort of crutch.